- Before you begin your reading adventure, we encourage you to read our pages
What is Phonics? and Why Phonics? in order to understand the incredible value of
- Read through the Keys to Success page to help you understand the principles that
govern the process.
- Browse through the Learning Styles pages and the related links so that you can
identify the Learning Style of your student. This knowledge will be vital when you
are looking for appropriate methods/activities to reinforce each phonics step.
- Read through the brief list of the Phonics Steps to get an overview of the process
you are about to begin. Then read through each detailed step to see the specifics. We
have included sample ideas for each step to help you ‘see’ how the material can be
- Once you have a thorough understanding of the reading process and you have identified
your student’s learning style, you will be ready to select a phonics program that will
best suit your needs. For help in making your selection, please see our Links page.
- And lastly, you will want to carefully review the phonics program you select and gather
the materials that you will need to begin your lessons. We have included some materials suggestions
below. You can also find specific recommendations on our Links page.
NOTE: For those of you who are working with struggling readers, we recommend that you follow
suggestions 1-4 above in order to gain a better understanding of the phonic method. Then,
you can use your knowledge of each of the Phonics Steps to help you identify the gaps in
your student’s phonics foundation. If you need help identifying weak areas, we recommend
that you use a basic phonics handbook such as A Handbook for Reading or Noah
Webster’s Reading Handbook [see our Links page for publishing information.]